Feature articles and interviews with Julia
Only print interviews are listed here. For audio and video interviews with Julia, check out her audio-visual page.
Note: most previews, reviews, and interviews (all the views!) of Julia’s new book Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive have not been added to this webpage yet, but you can view them all on her Excluded webpage.
Books and print magazines
Newspapers and webzines
- Author Julia Serano on those who are still ‘Excluded’, article & interview in PQ Monthly, by Leela Ginelle, August/September 2013.
- make/shift magazine (issue 13, spring/summer 2013) interviewed me and the other curators of Girl Talk (Gina de Vries and Elana Rose) about the show. Interview by Heather Bowlan.
- Jennifer Baumgardner published an interview with me in her book F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls, published by Seal Press, September, 2011.
- Feminine Protection, interview in Bitch Magazine, by Debbie Rasmussen, appeared in print in the “Risk” issue, published in 2007.
- Transfeminism has a new face, interview with Julia and Helen Boyd in Curve magazine (Vol. 17, #8), by Diane Anderson-Minshall, September, 2007. (note: the link leads to a PDF of that article.)
- Visions of Justice: Whipping Girl Author Julia Serano Considers How We Regard Gender Non-Conformity, by Jackie Leahy, The Sophian (Smith College paper), April 27, 2013.
- Transwomen often face transmisogyny transgender rights activist says, by Sandra Constantine, Mass Live/The Republican, April 25, 2013.
- Persephone Pioneers: Julia Serano, interview in Persephone Magazine, by Coco Papy, 09-16-2011.
- Queer Oakland: Julia Serano uses activism, art to save the day, interview in Oakland Local, by Tehea Robie, October 27, 2010.
- Whipping Girl: Interview with trans feminist Julia Serano, in The Scavenger, by Cath Davies (this interview originally appeared in the Australian magazine Cherrie).
- Julia Serano, Transgender Dyke, interview for queerlife, South Africa, by Ulla Kelly, 2008.
- Five Questions With Julia Serano, interview in en|Gender - helen boyd's journal of gender & trans issues9/26/2007.
- Trans Activism with Julia Serano, interview with GirlSpeak, by Alice Costas, 2007.
- Bring in the Noise, interview in TransNation, by Jacob Anderson-Minshall SF Bay Times August 31, 2006.
- Interviews with Julia and other 2004 Bay Area Ladyfest performers/writers can be found in Sabrina Chapadjiev’s 2005 zine Cliterature.
- Julia is interviewed and reads a couple of her poems on the radio program GenderTalk,
February 9, 2004 (episode #447).
Whipping Girl book reviews and previews
- Polare, issue 74, article 6, July 2012.
- Hypatia, Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 200 - 205, Summer 2009, review by Vek Lewis.
- Women's Studies Quarterly, Vol. 36, No. 1/2, Spring - Summer, 2008 (pp. 315-319), review by Angela P. Harris.
- Feminist Review, December 6, 2007.
- Fast Forward Weekly, October 18, 2007.
- Toronto Xtra, August 16, 2007.
- Now Toronto, August 23, 2007.
- Washington City Paper, August 15, 2007.
- Ms. Magazine, Summer, 2007.
- Below the Belt, July 24, 2007.
- San Francisco Chronicle, June 17, 2007.
- Publishers Weekly, 4/2/2007.
- San Francisco Bay Guardian, June 19, 2007.
- Lavendar magazine, May 2007.
- QueerWriters.com, April 2007.
- Booking the talent: Some big names in gay lit are filling spring’s bookshelves, Washington Blade, April 2007.
Pieces that mention or quote Julia
- I am quoted quite a bit in Alissa Quart’s book Republic of Outsiders: The Power of Amateurs, Dreamers and Rebels, published by The New Press, 2013.
- I am quoted in the article Does gender matter when it comes to sexual consent?, by Tracy Clark-Flory, Salon.com, July 6, 2013.
- I am mentioned in the article Katy Perry's Aversion to Feminism Shows Feminism Is Still Radical, by Noah Berlatsky, The Atlantic, December 5, 2012.
- I am mentioned in the article Gender debunked: “SM femme tranny dyke” Kate Bornstein talks about why gender isn't binary and the origins of transphobia, by Eve Gerber, Salon.com, May 3, 2012.
- I am quoted in the article Girl talk at the 13th annual national queer arts festival, in examiner.com, by Sarah Marloff, June 13, 2010.
- I am mentioned in the article Leaving Camp, by Noah Berlatsky, The Chicago Reader, January 22, 2009.
- I am quoted in the article DSM controversy
could overshadow opportunities, Bay Area Reporter, by Zak Szymanski, August 8, 2008.
- Interviews with Julia and other gender-, sexuality- & body image-activists can be found in Erin Remick’s 2007 feature-length documentary Embodied Revolution.
- Camp Trans Confronts Transphobia at Michigan Women's Music Festival, Out In The Mountains (Vermont) August 8, 2006.
- The other women's festival - Camp Trans, by Dawn Wolfe Gutterman, Originally printed 8/3/2006, Issue 1431, Between The Lines News
- Performances ‘Transform community’, Bay Area Reporter, by Zak Szymanski, Published 11/10/2005.
- Throw out your pronouns -- 'he' and 'she' are meaningless terms in the Bay Area's flourishing transgender performance scene, by Rona Marech, San Francisco Chronicle, Monday, December 29, 2003
- An excerpt from the poem “Cocky” and an interview with Julia can be found in Michelle Tea’s article “Transmissions from Camp Trans”, in The Believer, November 2003.
For articles and reviews of Julia’s band Bitesize, check out the Bitesize press page.
homepage - about - booking - news & events - writings - press - contact
Whipping Girl - Excluded - stuff to buy - audio-visual - music - blog - Twitter - Facebook