Feature articles about, and interviews with, Julia
(only print/written/text interviews are listed here. For audio and video interviews with Julia, check out her audio-visual page.)
- Noah Berlatsky interviewed me for Ravishly about recent internet debates about “call-out culture” and “political correctness” on February 5, 2015.
- Halifax Media Co-op interviewed me (“We’re creating hierarchies, even if we’re not aware of it”) on October 21, 2014.
- Herizons Magazine interviewed me about Excluded (see “Why Diversity Isn’t Enough”) in their Spring 2014 issue (Vol. 27 No. 4).
- Autostraddle interviewed me about Excluded (see “Idol Worship: Julia Serano Talks To Autostraddle About Fixing Feminism”) on January 28, 2014.
- After Ellen interviewed me about Excluded (see “Julia Serano talks Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive”) on November 6, 2013.
- Ethnography Matters interviewed me about Excluded and other topics (see “Genes, fruit flies and the Ramones”) on October 27, 2013.
- Persphone magazine interview with me about Excluded, October 16, 2013.
- The Atlantic interviewed me about Excluded (see “Gender as Non-Fiction”), September 25, 2013. Also, Noah Berlatsky (the interviewer) posted extra interview tidbits on his blog The Hooded Utilitarian
- PQ Monthly interview with me about Excluded, August 15, 2013.
- make/shift magazine (issue 13, spring/summer 2013) interviewed me and the other curators of Girl Talk (Gina de Vries and Elana Rose) about the show. Interview by Heather Bowlan.
- Jennifer Baumgardner published an interview with me in her book F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls, published by Seal Press, September, 2011.
- Queer Oakland: Julia Serano uses activism, art to save the day, interview in Oakland Local, by Tehea Robie, October 27, 2010.
- Whipping Girl: Interview with trans feminist Julia Serano, in The Scavenger, by Cath Davies (this interview originally appeared in the Australian magazine Cherrie).
- Julia Serano, Transgender Dyke, interview for queerlife, South Africa, by Ulla Kelly, 2008.
- Five Questions With Julia Serano, interview in en|Gender - helen boyd's journal of gender & trans issues9/26/2007.
- Feminine Protection, interview in Bitch Magazine, by Debbie Rasmussen, appeared in print in the “Risk” issue, published in 2007.
- Transfeminism has a new face [PDF link], interview with Julia and Helen Boyd in Curve magazine (Vol. 17, #8), by Diane Anderson-Minshall, September, 2007.
- Trans Activism with Julia Serano, interview with GirlSpeak, by Alice Costas, 2007.
- Bring in the Noise [PDF link], interview in TransNation, by Jacob Anderson-Minshall SF Bay Times August 31, 2006.
- Interviews with Julia and other 2004 Bay Area Ladyfest performers/writers can be found in Sabrina Chapadjiev’s 2005 zine Cliterature.
Noteworthy articles & essays that discuss my work and/or include my voice
- Several June 2015 articles about the word cisgender being added to the Oxford English Dictionary cite my book Whipping Girl for popularizing it -- see for instance, New York Magazine and Slate.
- The Variety Magazine article Transgender Hollywood: Will Bruce Jenner Change the Industry? calls Whipping Girl a “seminal” book and discusses the media archetypes of trans women that I describe therein, May 5, 2015.
- The Vice Magazine article What Can Be Done to Stop Violence Against Trans Women? includes an interview with me, February 2, 2015.
- Out Magazine included me in their 2014 OUT100 list, November 11, 2014.
- I am interviewed about feminism, science, & the nature-vs-nurture debate in the Bitch Magazine article “Born that Way?” in 2014.
- The The Publishing Triangle announced that Excluded is a finalist for this year’s Judy Grahn Award for Lesbian Nonfiction, March 12, 2014
- Autostraddle named Excluded as one of their Top 10 Queer and Feminist Books of 2013, December 31, 2013.
- I am quoted quite a bit in Alissa Quart’s book Republic of Outsiders: The Power of Amateurs, Dreamers and Rebels, published by The New Press, 2013.
- My thoughts about femininity & feminism are discussed in The Atlantic article Katy Perry's Aversion to Feminism Shows Feminism Is Still Radical, December 5, 2012.
- Whipping Girl is mentioned in Laura Jane Grace’s public coming out article in (prior to her adopting her current name), May 31, 2012.
- I am mentioned in the article Gender debunked: “SM femme tranny dyke” Kate Bornstein talks about why gender isn't binary and the origins of transphobia, by Eve Gerber, Salon.com, May 3, 2012.
- The Advocate named Whipping Girl as one of their Best Non-Fiction Transgender Books, November 20, 2011.
- Ms. Magazine named Whipping Girl as #16 on their list of Ms. Readers’ 100 Best Non-Fiction Books of All Time, October 10, 2011.
- I am interviewed about Girl Talk in the article Girl talk at the 13th annual national queer arts festival, in examiner.com, by Sarah Marloff, June 13, 2010.
- I am quoted in the article DSM controversy
could overshadow opportunities, Bay Area Reporter, by Zak Szymanski, August 8, 2008.
- AlterNet named Whipping Girl a runner up in their list of Best Progressive Books of 2007, January 30, 2008.
- Interviews with Julia and other gender-, sexuality- & body image-activists can be found in Erin Remick’s 2007 feature-length documentary Embodied Revolution.
- Camp Trans Confronts Transphobia at Michigan Women's Music Festival, Out In The Mountains (Vermont) August 8, 2006.
- The other women's festival - Camp Trans, by Dawn Wolfe Gutterman, Originally printed 8/3/2006, Issue 1431, Between The Lines News
- Performances ‘Transform community’, Bay Area Reporter, by Zak Szymanski, Published 11/10/2005.
- Throw out your pronouns -- 'he' and 'she' are meaningless terms in the Bay Area's flourishing transgender performance scene, by Rona Marech, San Francisco Chronicle, Monday, December 29, 2003
- An excerpt from the poem “Cocky” and an interview with Julia can be found in Michelle Tea’s article “Transmissions from Camp Trans”, in The Believer, November 2003.
Excluded book reviews
- Bitch Magazine reviewed Excluded in their Winter 2014 issue (#61, page 61).
- The Daily Xtra reviewed Excluded (see “All are welcome”) on November 20, 2013.
- A San Francisco Bay Guardian article about Excluded (see “All in: author and activist Julia Serano talks ‘Excluded’”) appeared on November 19, 2013.
- A blog post about Excluded appeared on the Jezebel.com Groupthink blog, November 7, 2013.
- After Ellen reviewed Excluded (see “Julia Serano talks Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive”) on November 6, 2013.
- The Chicago Reader reviewed Excluded (see “Julia Serano: Beyond nature vs. nurture”) on November 3, 2013.
- Curve Magazine reviewed Excluded (listing it as their “Editor’s Pick”) in their November 2013 issue.
- SheWired book review of Excluded, September 27, 2013.
- Publisher’s Weekly, book review, September, 2013.
Whipping Girl book reviews and previews
- Polare, issue 74, article 6, July 2012.
- Hypatia, Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 200 - 205, Summer 2009, review by Vek Lewis.
- Women's Studies Quarterly, Vol. 36, No. 1/2, Spring - Summer, 2008 (pp. 315-319), review by Angela P. Harris.
- Feminist Review, December 6, 2007.
- Fast Forward Weekly, October 18, 2007.
- Toronto Xtra, August 16, 2007.
- Now Toronto, August 23, 2007.
- Washington City Paper, August 15, 2007.
- Ms. Magazine, Summer, 2007.
- Below the Belt, July 24, 2007.
- San Francisco Chronicle, June 17, 2007.
- Publishers Weekly, 4/2/2007.
- San Francisco Bay Guardian, June 19, 2007.
- Lavendar magazine, May 2007.
- QueerWriters.com, April 2007.
- Booking the talent: Some big names in gay lit are filling spring’s bookshelves, Washington Blade, April 2007.
For articles and reviews of Julia’s band Bitesize, check out the Bitesize press page.
homepage - about - booking - news & events - writings - blog - press - contact
Whipping Girl - Excluded - Outspoken - music - audio-visual - Twitter - Facebook